Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes. With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
Our approach to God’s Word matters. What do we do with it so that it is a dynamic part of our lives that can actually impact and influence us?
- Hide it in your heart. Take it in and internalize it so that you have it with you wherever you go. Let it be something that overrides everything else in your heart so that you do not resort to sin, but to righteousness.
- Learn from God. The giver of the Word is the best teacher of the Word. Ask for His help and guidance in learning what His Word says, what it means, what He expects of you. Trust Him to help you know how to live it out day by day.
- Speak God’s Word to yourself and others. Make a declaration of God’s Word, and let it be the declaration of your life, that that will be how you conduct yourself. Commit to living according to it.
- Rejoice in the right way revealed in God’s Word. It gives us a path of righteousness. It states plainly what pleases God and what He considers to be sin. Be glad you have this treasure that can have such a powerful impact on your life and help you do what is pleasing to God.
- Meditate on it. Let it go through your mind again and again. Think about what God is saying and why. Think about what it means and how it applies to your life. Consider how it relates to other Scripture. Think deeply about the truths you find there so you can know God and His Word better.
- Have respect for it. Treat it with the importance that it deserves. Reverence it as the holy Word of God given to us. Respect it and honor it with seriousness. Recognize that it contains the commands of God, not mere suggestions.
- Delight in what you read. Is it a joy to learn it, know it, and do it? Are you glad to obey when you know what God expects of you? Can you delight in His promises and all that He has revealed to us about Himself, His ways, and His plans?
- Remember God’s Word. Have reminders of it all around you. Memorize what is meaningful and comforting. Constantly be studying to know it so you can recall it when you need it. Don’t let it slip away from you, but keep it in the forefront of your mind always.